Monday, July 13, 2009

The Voice of Adventure

Do you listen for God’s voice? Our prayer is that we are able to follow His leading more and more each day. As I reflect over that past year, I am in awe of how God spoke in my life and in Chad’s life.

This past winter, we had just gone through finding out for the first time that we indeed were not pregnant. I have a hard time describing the intense grief and sadness we experienced. Shortly after this time, I was having a conversation with a few parents at school and one of my former preschool parents, in passing, mentioned having gone through some of the same things I was now experiencing. After the conversation with everyone was complete, I went back to my office and e-mailed her. I was so thankful for the opportunity to talk with someone who has been where I was at that moment.

Later that week, we meet for a lovely dinner and spoke about what I was going through and her experiences. Our conversation then turned directions when she asked me how Chad and I felt about adoption. We have always been huge supporters of adoption, but had not seriously had a conversation about adoption for our family. My mom has been very involved in the adoption process with different families, a close friend of ours was adopted, and we walked through the adoption process with friends in our small group two separate times. So I felt very aware of adoption; but when she asked me that question at dinner (sharing of a possible adoption situation she knew of), something was different. God was moving in my heart and mind.

We finished our dinner, I went home and gave Chad a recap of our conversation and then tried to go to bed. But couldn’t sleep. My mind was reeling as I thought about adoption. Is this what God wants? Can I surrender my plan for our family? What is involved with adoption? Will we have to change so much of our life plans? Could we financially afford to adopt? Could we handle all the ‘what-ifs’ and heartache that often comes with adoption? And the questions went on and on. I did finally fall asleep. The next morning I opened up my devotion book to ponder the morning reading:

“Those who try to keep their lives will lose them. But those who give up their lives will save them.” Luke 17:33

There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it. Don’t listen to the whines of those who have settled for a second-rate life and want you to do the same so they won’t feel guilty. Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

Jesus says the options are clear. On one side there is a voice of safety. You can build a fire in the hearth, stay inside, and stay warm and dry and safe …

Or you can hear the voice of adventure – God’s adventure. Instead of building a fire in your hearth, build a fire in your heart. Follow God’s impulses. Adopt the child. Move overseas. Teach the class. Change careers. Run for office. Make a difference. Sure it isn’t safe, but what is?
He Still Moves Stones – Max Lucado

Poor Chad was in the bathroom getting ready for the day and I about broke the door down with tears in my eyes saying, ‘READ THIS!’. We both just stood there, speechless (which for me is quite the feat). I clung my devotional book close and reread and reread those words over and over all day long. God was calling me to give up my life’s plan for a much better plan, His plan.

Right now, that is exactly our goal; to be open to God’s leading, to seek Him and His will … to follow the Voice of Adventure.

3 comments:

  1. God is clearly guiding you in your decisions with this child...We will continue to pray for you...let us know if there is anything we can do for you...

    "...As the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand..." Jeremiah 18:6

    You are molded for God's purpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. Following God's lead in our lives...step by step, no matter what road we are on.
    You are an inspiration to all of us. We continue to pray for this road before you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with dbernhardt2 - it is really nice of you to share your story as you both are very inspirational.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete